Everybody likes Quesadillas. Everybody. Some like veggie, some like cheese, some like meat. Regardless, some form of quesadilla is pleasing to every palate. And why wouldn’t they be? They’re tortillas, and cheese, and veggies, and meat – all warmed in crispy happiness and topped with delicousness.
Here’s the best part: with a little bit of planning they are VERY easy to make.
What I usually do is have the chicken ready ahead of time if possible. A couple of weeks ago I posted a chicken breast recipe that could very easily be made Mexican – just sprinkle on some cumin, chili powder, maybe cayenne – and you’re good to go. I’ll throw a couple of those on whenever I have room on the grill and save for later in the week. That cuts out most of your work right there.
Next, you grill up some veggies right when your fire is ready. As I explained in my post yesterday, you just want to sear them fast, at a high heat, so the peppers remain firm. That takes no more than 10 minutes. Now, bring some of the veggies inside and hand them off to your wife while you grab an ice-cold frosty one from the fridge. At least, that’s what I do.
Now you’re going to chop some of that happiness up with the chicken you cooked a day or two ago, add the rest of the ingredients and there you go – the quesadilla mix is ready to go. So, once you put it all together in the tortillas you’re going to spray the outside with oil and carefully place it on your grill for no more than a minute or two. Close the lid and let the smoke get in. Keeping the lid closed also helps melt the cheese faster.
A quick que tip – make sure your bottom vents are closed and your fire has cooled off a bit. Tortillas burn FAST. You don’t need much heat to warm these suckers up.
There you go. 3 or 4 minutes and your quesadillas are done. You’re going to really enjoy the heck out of these. They’re super easy, crazy tasty, and the perfect appetizer or side dish for many grilled meals.
Did I miss anything? What are your favorite ingredients for quesadillas?
- 6 Flour Tortillas
- 1 Smoked Chicken Breast finely diced
- 1/2 c Grilled Mexican Veggies
- 1/2 c Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Zest of a Lemon
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 crushed Smoked Roasted Garlic Cloves
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Put all ingredients - except the cheese - into a bowl and mix together well.
- Lay one tortilla flat.
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture all over tortilla, up to the edges.
- Put a layer of cheddar cheese on top - make sure to go all the way to edges so the cheese will act as a "glue".
- Put another tortilla on top.
- Grill over low direct heat for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Slice with pizza slicer into pie shaped servings.
- Top with sour cream, salsa, guacamole - whatever sounds good!