People know that I have a fairly unhealthy passion for food. I love everything about it. I love planning it, buying it, preparing it, cooking it, and of COURSE, eating it. So given that blanket statement, I now can say guilt free…..
This. Is a gorgeous salad. It’s absolutely beautiful. It looks like fall should taste. Does that make sense? And it contains some flavors of the grill, which honestly makes my husband giggle. You’ve all been reading his entries now for quite some time – it’s no secret. He giggles as often as pregnant women use the restroom. But it’s fun to make him happy with a salad.
This recipe honestly came about from a variety of factors:
A. I had leftover grilled apples and did not want to throw them away.
B. I love feta cheese.
C. I found some great ideas on the internet, and decided to give it go.
D. Sometimes, I just get tired of eating meat (Shh. Don’t tell Kevin).
Grilled Apple Salad with Walnuts and Feta
- at least 4 whole slices of leftover grilled apples
- Candied pecans or walnuts. Really, once they're candied, does it matter what kind of nut it is?
- 1 bag of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 bag of mixed salad greens
- 1/2 red onion sliced very thin
- feta cheese. I'd say use half the container but come one, it's feta. Dump the whole thing in there.
- Special Grilled Apple Walnut Salad Dressing:
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbn light brown sugar
- 3 tbn chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsn crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsn salt
- 1/8 tsn pepper
- Make your salad as you normally would. For the dressing, the key here is to mix it really well. You can do it in gladware and shake it, or if you have a dressing bottle, those (obviously) work well too.
- Pour dressing on right before serving.