I love sugar.
I mean, I REALLY love sugar. Maybe it’s because I was deprived as a child. My parents never let me put sugar on my cereal, we never had soda, rarely had REAL kool-aid or lemonade or juice, and my dad has involved sugar with his grilling exactly zero times in his life.
So now I’m slightly obsessed with sugar. And what is the most sugary sweet fruit I can think of? Pineapple. Fresh pineapple is wonderful but there is nothing wrong with grilling those super easy canned slices!
But before I grill it, I need to add more sugar just to be safe, obviously.
I’m also completely obsessed with cinnamon. I have been known to often quote the famous Cinnamon scene from The Dinner Party episode of Seinfeld…
“Another Babka? Cinnamon takes a backseat to NO babka! People love cinnamon! It should be on tables in restaurants next to salt & pepper. Anytime anyone says, “Oh this is so good, what’s in it?”, the answer invariably comes back – “Cinnamon.” “Cinnamon.” Again and again. Lesser babka? I think not.”
And with that, I give you my deliciously sweet and cinnamony grilled pineapple recipe. Pineapples, Sugar, Cinnamon, Grill. A perfect marriage of ingredients? Possibly.
Be sure to check out this recipe for Smoked Pineapple that shows you how to trim and clean a fresh whole pineapple.
Grilled Canned Pineapple Slices
- 1 can Sliced pineapple Drained
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1 tbs Cinnamon
- Drain the canned pineapple slices, pat dry with paper towels and arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle both sides generously with brown sugar and cinnamon about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill over direct heat - not too hot - for about 5 minutes per side.
- You just want it lightly browned with grill marks.
- Use a spatula to remove from grill to keep them whole.