Original Recipe: Mexican Black Beans
This is a “guest post” of sorts from the woman behind the scenes – Kevin’s sister, Karen. I actually handle the technology end and pictures for this blog while Kevin handles all the cooking and writing. Not a bad gig considering I get to eat all this wonderful food we post! I normally refuse to write anything at all for this blog, but I’ve been forced to do this recipe since neither Kevin nor Patti had anything to do with it.
My husband Brian and I love to find new delicious ways to make whole grains a little more exciting. I had some leftover Mexican Black Beans from The Sweets Life recipe and was looking for a way to use them. I ran across this recipe on one of the blogs I follow, Kalyn’s Kitchen. She is a favorite of mine!
Since I don’t have the super human taste buds Kevin and Patti have, I followed the recipe exactly (that’s how I roll with all my cooking). Maybe my favorite part about this recipe is how EASY it is. It tastes great and our entire Haberberger family enjoyed it at one of our family dinners!
Hopefully you like this Mexican Quinoa as much as we did. It will go great with all of the BBQ recipes you’re making this summer. Let me know if you have a favorite recipe using quinoa or other whole grain. I always love new recipes!
BBQ Leftovers: Quinoa with Mexican Black Beans
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into small dice
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained or Mexican black bean recipe from our site!
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground Ancho chile pepper or use regular chile powder if you don't have Ancho
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
- If using canned beans, drain the beans into a colander and rinse well with cold water. If using the Mexican Black Beans recipe from our site, you don't have to rinse the beans.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Combine quinoa, black beans, diced red bell pepper, and sliced green onion and cilantro in a bowl. Pour some dressing on top and mix. Set some dressing aside for leftovers. You can pour more on to moisten and freshen it up.