Hey, if you’re going to cook wild game, then do it the right way – with a camo can Busch Beer in hand.
It’s that time of year again…time for many of you to go out into the woods, hunker down, and get you some venison!
I know many of you are either hunters yourselves, or you have friends and family that are, and you reap the benefits of their work every year. I fall into the latter of the two categories. I have never actually gone hunting, but I do so enjoy trying new ways to prepare the wild game.
This one is the brainchild of my friend Wes, who has contributed numerous ideas to this blog over the years. Sometimes I take credit, sometimes I don’t. This time…I’ll say it was a combined effort. Regardless, these turned out absolutely DELICIOUS! To the point that I’m not sure how many other ways I will prepare wild game in the future – that’s just how good these were.
Yea, yea…I took a second picture with a glass of wine. Why? Well, I wanted to show you that these poppers go well with everything!
Smoked Wild Game Poppers
- Wild Game - we used Antelope but I've also done these with Dove, Duck and Deer!
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Your favorite Rub - we used my all purpose rub
- Prep jalapeños by cutting in half and de-seeding.
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese and a heavy sprinkle of rub in a bowl - Mix.
- Slather cheese mixture into halved jalapeño, place meat on top, wrap the entire thing in bacon.
- Sprinkle rub all over.
- Smoke between 225-300 for about 45 minutes or until bacon is golden brown and cheese is oozing.