I will give credit to the description of this to my dad:
“You’ve taken a perfectly healthy side dish and encased it in fat.”
Yep. And I have no regrets about it. And my dad didn’t seem to mind as he shoved 2 of them quickly in his mouth. I know you’ll be SHOCKED to read there were no leftovers.
Tips for Making The Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Amazing!
This is a simple to follow recipe but there are a few things you can do to make sure it turns out amazing.
Start by inspecting your asparagus. The tips of the asparagus are always tender but the base of the stalk sometimes is not. This is especially true if the asparagus is thick. If the asparagus has a uniform thickness across the stalk then you don’t need to do any trimming. However, if the asparagus has a thick, wide stem you might want to trim off the bottom inch or two.
Use thin cut bacon to wrap the asparagus. The thinner the bacon is the easier it is to wrap and the more likely it will cook at the same rate as the asparagus.
Consider the flavor of your honey. There is nothing wrong with using regular honey for this recipe. However, if you want to add depth to the flavor profile consider using honey that has been infused with other flavors. You could try honey that has been infused with coffee or even some with Ghost Peppers if you like a little heat with your sweet!
We made these on the grill but you can also bake them in the oven. Keep your oven at 325F or below and turn often to make sure the honey does not burn.
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Honey Balsamic Glaze
- 12 stalks of asparagus
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 12 slices of bacon
- Combine honey, vinegar and olive oil. Wrap each asparagus stalk in a slice of bacon. Place in a shallow baking dish. Drizzle the marinade over the bacon wrapped asparagus. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking - low temp. You don't want the bacon to burn. I had my grill at around 250-300.
- Place asparagus on the outskirts of the grill, careful not to burn, and turn frequently.
- Grill for about 15 minutes, or until bacon is golden brown.