These little guys make me really, really happy. If food can be cute, then these are adorable. I adapted this recipe from the BBQ cups found at Six Sister’s Stuff. Those BBQ Cups use browned ground beef with bbq sauce. I’m sure it’s delicious!
I happened to have some leftover smoked chicken (shocking, yes, I know), so changed this up a little bit. I also added in some caramelized onions and our homemade bbq sauce. If you don’t make your own bbq sauce, you can use your favorite brand. One major brand that I prefer is Sweet Baby Rays. If you have access to different bbq sauces, branch out. There are some REALLY good ones out there!
I combined all the ingredients, used some low fat crescent rolls, and baked these little guys in the oven. They took no time at all – maybe 20 minutes! I even froze some for later use. That worked out great- I took out the amount I wanted for the next serving before leaving for work in the morning, then when I was ready to eat them, I re-baked them. It worked great.
These delicious little bites also passed the biggest test of all – ALL the children loved them! What’s not to love? Bread, bbq and cheese? They’re little bites from heaven!
Crescent Roll BBQ Chicken Cups
- 2 cans of lowfat crescent rolls
- 2 cups of leftover smoked chicken - diced
- 1 cup carmelized red onions see recipe below
- 3/4 cup of bbq sauce
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Caramelize your onions by cooking sliced onion strips in a sauce pan on a very low heat with a small bit of olive oil. Cover and stir occasionally. When they turn dark in color, they are ready. I chopped mine in smaller pieces for these cups.
- Combine your diced smoked chicken, sauce, and onions in a bowl.
- Take your crescent rolls and lightly press them into a muffin pan. Make sure there are no holes in the dough. If a hole does occur, just pinch the dough back together. Spoon in the bbq chicken mixture. Top each up with some mozzarella cheese parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the cups are bubbly and brown.