My little sister, Karen, (who happens to be the creative designer behind this site and chief photographer) likes to try new, healthy dishes. She’s always trying things that sound absolutely disgusting to me. A couple of years ago I’m smoking ribs for my dad’s birthday and she brings over a Bison Steak for me to grill for her.
Huh? You don’t want ribs – you want a BISON STEAK? I found that beyond ridiculous. Nevertheless, I fired up my grill, JUST for Karen, JUST for her silly Bison Steak, JUST so she could try something healthy. So annoying.
The results stunned me.
Absolutely sweet and delicious and in my opinion, BETTER than beef steaks. Dangit – I HATE when my little sister is right. We’ve tried a few more times since then and have come up with a couple of killer recipes you will love.
Put all the ingredients together in a Ziploc bag or container and let your Bison steak marinate for at least 30 minutes, but up to 6 hours. The longer you marinate, the more the flavors will seep in. But be careful – this steak is pretty darn good by itself, so you don’t want to overpower with too much flavor. I marinated mine for about 90 minutes.
Set up your grill for indirect cooking and get your grill blazing hot. I used Kingsford Competition Briquettes, which produce a MUCH hotter fire than standard briquettes. With only about 25 coals, all pushed to one side, I was able to get my grill temp to 450+ degrees.
Remove the steak from the marinade, place on a tray and add some salt & pepper to taste. Grab 2 beers and head outside.
Place the steak directly above the blazing hot coals and sear for about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
Please try this recipe soon. If this recipe isn’t up your alley then check out this one for Grilled Bison Ribeye Steak with Lemon Pepper.
You just cannot believe how good it is! And bison is so lean it makes for a relatively healthy meal. Win – win. Leave a comment or email me and let me know how it goes!
What is your favorite healthy meal to grill?
Grilled Bison Strip Loin Steak
- 1 Bison Strip Steak
- For Marinade
- 1/2 c Cabernet
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 2 tbs Worchestire Sauce
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbs Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Throw all ingredients together in a gallon ziploc bag and mix together.
- Marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking, but push all coals to one side. You want at least 450 degrees for searing. Don't forget to add some wood!
- Remove from marinade, add a bit more salt & pepper and place directly on grill for searing.
- Sear 4-5 minutes per side, then move to area of grill with no direct heat.
- Close lid, close all vents, and let cook/smoke indirect for another 5 or so minutes.