I usually cook light – I really do. But I also really hate to waste things. This time…I had cream in my refrigerator. And the leftover grilled chicken breasts.
My options were limited – I HAD to create a creamy white sauce with grilled chicken. I could hear the ingredients calling out to me – daring me to do it. I succumbed. And…every once in a blue moon – it’s worth it. This dish was delicious.
One of the (many) joys of making a pasta like this is that it was quick. From beginning to end – it was less than 15 minutes….as long as you think ahead and have the chicken already grilled. The sauce takes 10 minutes, and then you’re just waiting on the noodles to cook. This is actually EASIER than a boxed dinner – and the taste is amazing.
I was so excited about this, because like I said – I rarely make these types of sauces, that I may have “accidentally” made more than our family was going to eat so I could have leftovers…I keep forgetting that my boys are getting bigger, and older, and eating a lot more. Suffice it to say, there were no leftovers. Great for the waist band, sad for my taste buds.
Anyway, this weekend, fire up that grill, PLAN on having some leftover grilled chicken and make this dinner next week. And don’t forget that if the cream should happen to fall in your shopping cart, you can put it to good use. I promise.
Leftover Grilled Chicken Breast Pasta with Cream Sauce
- 2 cups of sliced grilled chicken
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 gulp stick of butter
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 box of mushrooms I used already grilled mushrooms, but you can use raw - it doesn't matter.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-1 1/2 pounds of pasta noodles
- Cook your pasta noodles according to the directions on the box.
- In a skillet, melt the butter. If your mushrooms are raw, throw your sliced mushrooms in now to cook them. When they are cooked, add the flour and coat the mushrooms well.
- Add the cream stirring frequently. Once it's thickened, add the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced chicken. Once chicken is warmed, your sauce is ready.
- Drain your noodles and mix your noodles with the sauce.