This is one of my top 3 favorite “I can’t believe how healthy this is!” recipes. It’s so full of flavor that it’s shocking that it’s good for you too.
My mom babysits for me two of the 5 days of the work week. My mom instilled a “eat healthy, eat homemade” attitude in me from the very beginning. She made delicious food, every single day. We never grabbed dinner out. If she didn’t cook, it was because we had leftovers to eat. I’m pretty sure this is why I’ve never been picky. I grew up not knowing that potatoes could be sold in boxes, and that birthday cakes could come pre-made, with icing and all! Maybe I was the only one that grew up with homemade strawberry trifle as my birthday cake?
We only got to have tacos on the nights my dad had plans because he doesn’t like tacos. It was kind of a big deal when we had tacos, because it so seldomly happened. That’s why I was so surprised that MY MOM gave me this recipe – a Mexican soup? At my parent’s house? That was fantastic news!
I have a lot of things to thank my mom for – food being one of the least reasons – if I could strive to be half the patient mother, selfless caregiver, and loving wife, I’d consider myself a success. To be as good of a cook as her – well, that’s just icing on the delicious strawberry trifle.
This recipe uses leftover grilled chicken breasts but it would be equally amazing with white or dark meat from a leftover smoked chicken.
Leftover Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe-Grilled Mexican Soup
- 1 can of black beans drained
- 1 can of rotel
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 32 ounce can of tomatoes crushed
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 grilled bell peppers - skinned and chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 grilled chicken breasts chopped into small pieces
- 5-6 fritos per bowl
- Drain everything that needs draining. Chop everything that needs chopping. Throw everything into a big sauce pot except the milk and cook until it slow boils.
- Add the cup of milk and stir well.
- Serve with a few crushed fritos on top.