Have you ever had a morel mushroom? I have vivid memories of my dad going mushroom picking every spring. You can only harvest them for about 2 weeks – it’s one of the shortest harvest seasons I know of, but wow, they are absolutely amazing. If you ever get the chance to try one, don’t pass it up. If nothing else, just comment and make me jealous that you had some.
Some of the finest restaurants in St. Louis boast when they are able to serve them – as well they should. They are a delicacy. It is currently morel mushroom season. Unfortunately, I will probably not get to taste them this season – time, schedules, and budget constraints make enjoying this delectable dish difficult. But, I can dress up some regular mushrooms to make myself feel better!
This DEFINITELY doesn’t have to go to on top of burger, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t. I have absolutely served it as a side dish – particularly when I’m trying to watch my calories and want to eat something yummy, but also healthy.
Make your taste buds and your tummy happy with this yummy little treat.
Kicked Up Grilled Mushrooms – The Ultimate Burger Topping
- 1 container of button mushrooms each mushroom destemmed, patted with a moist paper towel and sliced into thin slices.
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes, but not longer than 24 hours.
- Grill in a grilling vegetable dish for 10 minutes, or until mushrooms are dark. Serve on top of burgers.