Roasting peppers on a grill is an easy way to to take a simple ingredient and make it extraordinarily delicious.
You could use a regular pepper in any recipe and it would be good . But if you ROAST it, well, it might just be a special unexpected treat.
And it doesn’t get any simpler:
Burn the pepper on the grill on all sides
Toss it in a paper bag for 5 minutes
Peel off the burnt outer skin
Once the skin has been removed use a knife to cut open the pepper. Remove the core and scrape out the seeds.
What you’re left with is a sweeter, tastier version of a pepper. My wife uses these in several different recipes. One she has already shared: Pasta with Italian Sausage, Grilled Onions and Roasted Peppers. Make a bunch, slice them up and put them in a jar with olive oil to store them for use later.
How to Roast Peppers on a Grill
- Bell Peppers
- Olive Oil
- Paper Bag
- Hot Grill
- Set up your grill for direct high heat.
- Place the peppers directly over the heat.
- Wait until the skin on the pepper starts to blacken and blister (about 3 minutes) and then turn the peppers over.
- Grill until all sides of the pepper are blistered.
- Place the peppers in a paper bag and let them steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the bag and peel off the skin.
- Remove the core and seeds.
- Use immediately or place in a far of olive oil and store in the refrigerator.