This is just fun. I felt like doing a completely different burger, so I let my good friend, Jeremy, and my brother-in-law Brian (both have lived in California) inspire me. I did some research and BAM – California Burger was born.
I kept the hamburger meat simple and only flavored with the basics: Salt & Pepper, garlic, onion.
Apparently to be a true California burger you must use Monterrey Jack. So I did that. You also need avocado. So I did that too – with an extraordinary flare by making avocado relish. YUM.
And, um, that’s pretty much it. But still – BAM – I give you our California Burger.
- 1 lb ground beef
- Sliced Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 tbs Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For Avocado Relish
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1/2 shallot
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix spices with the ground beef.
- Make into about 5 patties.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking - high temp.
- Cook burgers for about 5 minutes on each side at a grill temp of at least 350, until the internal temperature is 150 - medium well.
- Two minutes before finishing the burger, place 2 slices of Monterrey Jack cheese on burger and close lid to melt cheese.
- Place on bun and top with avocado relish.