This recipe epitomizes our tag line of, turning your ordinary grilling to extraordinary bbq.
Nope, a burger is not just a burger. Not anymore. Not after you read this recipe, try it, and take one delicious bite. I’m about to change your burger loving world forever. A warning: Once you try these ridiculously delicious spicy hamburgers, you may never go back to what you once knew.
A word of thanks to my good friend, Kevin Pfeiffer. He is the inspiration for this recipe and contributed some key ingredients. Pfeif – as I call him – is one of the cooks on our competitive team, SLABS a’ Smokin, and a good friend. He also happens to be wickedly talented on the grill. This will not be the last you hear from my buddy Pfeif.
I’ve been wanting to share a burger recipe for a while but couldn’t decide which one to do. This one is perfect. So unique and tasty. It combines ground beef with spicy pork sausage; throw in some fresh garlic, onion and peppers for extra zing, and sear to perfection on a blazing wood filled grill.
And yes, a drizzle of my favorite secret ingredient – syrup.
A few burger grilling tips:
- Please try to only flip once. It’s critically important to achieving a juicy burger.
- Of course you should use some wood. Burgers with a bit of smoke are phenomenal (check out this smoked burger recipe!).
- Do NOT push your spatula down on the burger! Why do you do that? You’re squeezing all the juices out of the burger and into your coals, causing flames! Flip it and leave it alone.
- When the juices are clear, it’s done. If you can poke it with the tip of your spatula and only clear juices run out, get that sucker off.
- If you’re doing cheese, figure that into your cooking time. Don’t make the mistake of cooking the burger until it’s done, THEN putting the cheese on. Your burger will be dry.
You can absolutely do this recipe non-spicy if you prefer. Get mild pork sausage, leave out the onions and peppers, and just season with salt & pepper. It will still be juicy and delicious – just less kick.
What’s your favorite twist to a standard burger? Please share! I love trying new ways to cook hamburgers – one of my very favorite things to grill. Enjoy these spicy grilled burgers and let me know how it goes for you!
Spicy Grilled Burgers
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb spicy pork sausage
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small red & 1 small yellow pepper.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 tbs syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cheddar Pub Cheese
- Mix all ingredients (except cheese) in bowl
- Form into thick round patties.
- Grill over direct heat for about 5-8 minutes per side until juices run clear.
- Before completely done, add a scoop of your pub cheese.
- Close all vents and let cheese melt for 2-3 minutes.