I’ve seen so many Grilled Salad recipes, I just HAD to finally try it. I didn’t really understand what the point of it would be, honestly. I like salad cold. I like salad crispy. So why mess with a good thing and put it on the grill? Well, because I’m willing to try anything on the grill at least once.
It’s actually fairly simple. Patti made a homemade Caesar dressing, directly taken from Once Upon a Chef, which I brushed on the lettuce. Then I grilled each piece over a low heat fire for a few minutes – very few minutes – as it burns easily. The dressing, by the way, is fantastic. One that we will make. Regularly.
All in all, I would say it’s not good enough to do again, unless you just want to impress some guests, or have vegetarian friends and feel like grilling something. It’s good…enough remained crispy, combined with a little grilled softness…it was a different, tasty salad. But it wasn’t good enough that I would take the time to do it again.
If you’re a salad lover, Grilled Caesar salad is worth a shot. If you could take it or leave it, then maybe you skip this one. Either way, it was a fun experiment, and I always enjoy trying new things on the grill.
Grilled Caesar Salad
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 2 tbn freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup of mayo I used light and it was still yummy
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Ceasar croutons for topping
- Mix ingredients for dressing in a bowl together ahead of time. Let sit in refrigerator until you need to use it.
- Peel off each piece of lettuce. Wash and pat dry. Brush the dressing on both sides of the lettuce. Grill each side of the lettuce for maybe 2 minutes - just until it gets browned. Take off the grill and serve immediately.