If there is any reason to make a cream sauce, my son will find it and talk us into making it. He LOVES cream sauce. He’s also really getting into this whole bbq scene. That’s what made this post so fun. He truly believes he invented this recipe for grilled chicken fettuccine alfredo.
“I have a GREAT idea! Let’s combine a delicious grilled chicken, with that creamy fettucine sauce we make inside! That might be the best dinner EVER!”
…says our sweet 9 year old.
So that was what we set out to do. Make the best dinner ever.
Marinate or Brine the Chicken Breasts
We have trained our young culinary expert well – he knew we needed to brine the chicken to keep the chicken moist and flavorful while grilling.
We brined the chicken breasts in our basic brine recipe (given below) for four hours in the refrigerator.
Basic Brine Recipe
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 cup of kosher salt
- 1 cup of brown sugar
After the chicken has brined rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Grill the Chicken Breasts
After the chicken had been brined it was seasoned with:
- Black Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- Granulated Onion
You don’t need to add any salt or sugar as the chicken soaked up plenty during the brine step.
The seasoned boneless breasts were grilled over high heat for about 15 minutes, flipping every five minutes, until they reached an internal temperature of 165F.
Remove the breasts from the grill and let rest (do NOT slice) until you are ready to assemble the dish
Make the Alfredo Cream Sauce
Start heating your pasta water and, once boiling, add the pasta. As soon as the pasta hits the water it is time to start making the alfredo sauce.
We continued on with my regular cream sauce recipe (given in the recipe card below), which made the young lad very happy to learn how to make the alfredo sauce. I bet he’s going to be trying out this brand new recipe on his own on a regular basis now.
It takes just about as long for the pasta to cook as it takes to make the sauce.
As soon as the pasta is fully cooked and drained, slice the chicken breast, add it to the pasta and cover with the alfredo sauce.
Try our Grilled Chicken Fettucine Alfredo for yourself, and see if you and your family enjoy it as much as ours did!
Grilled Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- For Sauce:
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 4 tbs of butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan or asiago cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb of fettucine noodles
- Cook noodles as directed on the box.
- Melt the butter, add flour to create a rue. Add milk until mixture thickens. Add garlic, salt and pepper, heavy cream and cheese. If the sauce is still too thick, add a bit of the water from the boiling noodles to thin it slightly. Serve warm.
- Chicken directions:
- Brine for four hours in the refrigerator
- Set up your grill for direct cooking - low cooking - 250 - 300.
- Place chicken breasts directly over fire.
- Cook for 5 - 10 minutes - flip - another 5 - 10 minutes until internal temperature is 165.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and place atop the pasta.