I’ve grilled a lot of stuff. I’ve tried grilling a lot of desserts. This is far and away the best dessert I have ever eaten that had anything to do with a grill. Period.
Now, admittedly, it had very little to do with the grill…all I really did was grill the pound cake…my wife did the rest. But still, it’s grilled. And I mean to tell you it’s absolutely fantastic.
We made these for our whole family after gorging ourselves on some absolutely out of this world burgers. We were all stuffed. Then we took a bite of this dessert and we weren’t so stuffed. Every single person in my family agreed this was one of the best desserts they have ever eaten.
And that’s all I have to say about that.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 cooked pound cake
- 16 ounces of strawberries chopped small
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tbn water
- 1 block of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsn almond extract
- 16 ounces of whipped cream
- Chop your strawberries up and put them in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar and water over them and let them sit for at least 2 hours, or longer if possible (up to 6).
- Set up your grill for direct cooking, but keep the temp LOW. Only use maybe 10 or so coals and cut the vents down so your grill temp is around 200. This makes it easier to grill bread without burning it.
- Spray each side with a light coat of olive oil, or spread melted butter - your choice. Cut the pound cake into 8 equal slices. Grill each side of the bread for about 5 minutes - just be careful - it will burn fast so you really have to watch each piece.
- For the cream cheese filling: Mix the cream cheese with powdered sugar and the almond until it is blended well. Set aside.
- Cut each of the 8 slices of pound cake in half and used it for each sandwich - making 8 sandwiches total. Using two full pieces would have been...a lot of cake. Assemble the sandwich with the cream cheese, strawberries, whipped cream, then the top.