We very rarely go all out for Mexican. My kids like the boxed taco shells, the browned hamburger/turkey meat with some taco seasoning, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream. Boom.
An easy dinner for a crazy night. Everyone has their easy taco night.
But sometimes it’s fun to spice things up. Recently we had a family get together where we thought it would be lots of fun to do a taco bar. We had:
- Browned turkey/hamburger meat seasoned with an amazing keto friendly taco seasoning
- Shredded smoked chicken
- Thinly sliced Mexican flank steak
All of a sudden, taco night had a whole different flavor!
Here is a CLASSIC reason why you want to freeze some smaller portions of smoked chicken: We did not smoke a chicken for the purpose of this taco night. We lazily reached into the freezer and grabbed a bag of leftover bbq chicken, and let it defrost.
Just like that – instant taco filling! But the most important part – the chicken is crazy good!
Without question, the star of the show was the Mexican flank steak which was ridiculously good. It’s amazing what a different marinade and rub can do for a piece of meat. Completely changes everything. And it’s SO fast and easy.
You can grill the steak as instructed in the recipe card or smoke the flank on your pellet grill. Either way it is going to be extraordinarily great.
So my advice is go crazy and have a fun and delicious taco night – not possible all the time – but sometimes it’s just what the doctor ordered!
Flank Steak Tacos
- 1-2 lb Flank Steak
- 1/2 tsn granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsn cumin
- 1/2 tsn chili powder
- 1/2 tsn minced jalapeno
- 3 tbn minced onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbn of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and let the meat sit in the marinate for at least 30 minutes, longer is preferred.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking - searing.
- Cook over a very hot fire - at least 450 - flipping only once. Pour remaining marinade over steak. Steak should be medium at 135-140 internal temp.
- Slice the steak as thin as possible against the grain.