Any excuse to get out my cast iron skillet and I’m on board especially if there are sweet potatoes involved.
In my opinion, it’s a can’t miss – I love sweet potatoes, I love cast iron, I love grilling.
Let me walk you through how easy it is to make Cast Iron Sweet Potatoes on the grill!
Get the Sweet Potatoes Ready
Start by peeling and washing the potatoes.
Next you want to pop them into the microwave and cook them on High for three minutes. This is going to help soften them up before they hit the cast iron.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the microwave and cut them into rounds.
Cook Over High Heat
We cooked these on our grill using direct high heat. You can do the same on your stovetop if firing up a grill is not an option.
Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet over the heat and add coconut oil to the pan.
While you are waiting for the pan to get hot, season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
Once the oil is hot add the sweet potatoes and grill for 3-5 minutes per side. Make sure you press down the potatoes to flatten them out and maximize the amount of crust.
When the potatoes are fork tender remove them from the cast iron skillet and serve.
All in all…pretty good! Definitely something different from our standard grilled sweet potatoes and tasty to try.
My suggestion would be to slice the potatoes relatively thin – the thinner you get them, the quicker they’ll cook and crispier they’ll be. I did some thick and some thin – and I preferred the thin pieces.
Next time you’re getting your cast iron skillet out, give these smashed sweet potatoes a try. It doesn’t get much easier than oil, salt & pepper! They’re fun and easy to make and quite tasty!
Cast Iron Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tbs Coconut Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Set up your grill for direct cooking - high heat.
- Once fire is lit, get your cast iron skillet on there to warm up.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and microwave for a few minutes to soften.
- Slice into approximately 1/4-1/2" slices. Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Once skillet is warmed up, add coconut oil and let that warm.
- Once oil is warm, add potatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side - smashing slightly to maximize the surface area - until crispy!