Booooring. Anyone can make a standard hamburger with a slice of cheese and a strip of bacon on it. This isn’t blog worthy…or is it?
For this recipe I went WAY outside the box. With inspired help from my good friend -and fellow burger enthusiast – Jeff, I went ahead and put everything INSIDE the burger. Yep, it’s all stuffed inside. I’m serious, and it’s spectacular.
I started by cutting thick slices from a block of sharp cheddar cheese. These are about one inch in length, and as you can see, pretty decent thickness. I also had fried up some bacon that morning for breakfast with the family and kept about 6 slices aside for this glorious creation. I crumbled those up and tossed them in the ground beef with the cheese slices.
Besides those 2 critically important ingredients, I used only a few basic spices, then made them into perfect patties, with almost all contents trapped safely inside. I set up my grill for indirect AND direct cooking and threw these suckers over the direct heat to sear them.
After they had decent grill marks, I moved them to the opposite side for some indirect cooking – and SMOKE – to finish them off. I tossed on a handful of apple and hickory chips and cooked them for about 30 minutes to bring them up to medium well (150 – 155). (If you are working on a pellet grill then you could skip the searing step and just smoke the burgers for maximum flavor.)
Yep, a little bit of cheese oozed out…but not much…and doesn’t that look just crazy cool? Well wait until you taste it. Every bit is an absolute explosion of flavor. My mouth was thanking me with every bite I took. Cook this correctly and I’m giving you a promise it will immediately jump up to the top 3 of burgers you’ve ever eaten.
If eating this Bacon Cheeseburger is wrong, I don’t want to be right.
In my opinion, this, my fellow burger lovers, is The Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger.
Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup of chunked cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 good squirt of maple syrup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. BE GENTLE and do NOT overmix. The more you mix, the less tender and juicy your burgers will be.
- Make into good thick burgers with all cheese inside, careful to keep as much cheese away from the surface as possible.
- Set up your grill for half searing, half indirect cooking.
- Sear burgers for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Move to indirect side, throw a handful of wood chips on the coals and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add your preferred condiments and enjoy!