Every great once in a while I have a stroke of genius. The first time was in the year 2000, when I asked Patti to marry me.
The second time might be the day I decided to grind up a previously frozen ribeye steak and turn it into a ribeye burger.
Here’s what I would suggest to you: Get one of those frozen steak packages from an Omaha Steak type place. Great quality? No. Affordable and get the job done? Yes, because you’re not going to use them for traditional grilled steaks. You’re going to thaw them a few at a time and grind them into burgers.
Is Ribeye Good for Burgers?
Ribeye is absolutely amazing for burgers. The meat on a ribeye is incredibly flavorful and the steak has enough fat to keep the burger juicy.
Don’t question me. Just do it. I’m telling you it’s so worth it. I couldn’t believe how tasty this burger was. Absolutely entirely different than your average ground beef burger.
Fast, easy and oh so tasty.
How to Make a Ribeye Burger
It takes approximately 25 seconds to grind a ribeye steak into a burger.
No other special ingredients are required: Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Onion.
I prepared mine on a cast iron skillet because I wanted the thin crispiness of a Smashburger, but you wouldn’t have to do that. I would recommend trying it that way, however. Yum. Plus it’s fast. For those of us in the throngs of winter, this method requires a shorter amount of time outside than a traditional burger.
If you have time to spare then you could also cook these burgers on a smoker and they would be amazing!
Your basic steps for making this burger are:
- Mix the ground meat with the seasonings and form into a ball.
- You will need about 1/3 pounds of meat per ball/burger.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat on your grill (or stovetop) to at least 400F.
- Place the ball of meat into the hot cast iron and press with a spatula to flatten.
- Cook over high heat for three minutes per side.
- Serve on a toasted bun
Please try this! Please? Thank you. And let me know how your first ribeye burger experience goes.
Grilled Ribeye Burger
- 1 ribeye steak I used a thinly sliced frozen ribeye, about 1/3 of a pound
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Onion
- In preparation, use a meat grinder and grind up a ribeye steak.
- Set up grill for direct cooking.
- In a bowl, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder.
- Mix together.
- Make into a small ball, ready for smashing.
- Place cast iron griddle or skillet on grill and get your grill is up to searing temperature - at least 400.
- Smash the ribeye burger, and sear for 2-3 minutes. Flip and sear for 2-3 minutes and your done!
How to Make this Burger Even Better
This cook was pretty simple which sometimes is all you want when you are making a burger. Meat, seasonings and bun. There is nothing wrong with that…especially when the meat comes from a ground ribeye steak!
That being said, here are some ways you could make this burger extraordinary!
Use a Sauce
I would be remiss if I didn’t let you know that we have a recipe for an amazing mushroom cream sauce that is spectacular on ribeye steaks. You could take this recipe, simmer it a bit longer to thicken it up some, and smother this burger. It would knock your socks off.
If you don’t feel up to making your own sauce then a little bit of A1 out of the bottle would be okay 🙂
Lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise would also look and taste great on this burger!
Use Different Buns
We like using toasted onion rolls but I realize that is not everybody’s jam.
These burgers would be great on pretzel rolls or slice ciabatta bread as well.
Make sure you use a bread that has some “bite and texture” and always make sure it is toasted.